Wednesday 17 June 2009

Honey Bees


The weather was warm and sunny before the storm and it was a pleasure to sit in the garden in the sun. A couple of days ago, I heard a faint buzzing which got louder and louder and as I looked up I could see that the sky was black with insects. Time to get indoors quick!


As the cloud subsided I was able to go out and see what had caused it; a swarm of honey bees had taken up residence in my plastic compost bin.


I telephoned the local council who gave me the number of a beekeeper who came round with a swarm box. It was fascinating to watch as the bees soon decided that this wooden box was a far nicer place to live than my compost bin!


The box was left here for two days and then collected once the swarm had taken up residence in their temporary home, then they were transported to a hive in Tuddenham where they will live out their rather short lives.
I think the bees may have been attracted to this lovely yellow Buddleia tree in my garden.
Honey bees are very clever and the gentleman who collected my swarm was a mine of interesting information and he brought me and my neighbour a jar of his home made honey.

So I would like to give a big thank you to all Suffolk Beekeepers.

http://www.suffolkbeekeepers.co.uk/

http://www.britishbee.org.uk/index.php

No comments: